Friday, February 12, 2010

Getting Together

Still in September 2008 now. "New girl's" friend is single. So am I. We began to text a little and I invited her out with my friends and I as she was interested in joining us in our expeditions of the social scene. We had tons of fun together, and my friends loved her. They became her good friends too. She and I had begun to get a little more flirty with each other as it became obvious that the attraction was mutual. October 2008 comes around. One night we were playing pool and she was behind me. She boldly made a move and kissed the back of my neck. I turned right around and kissed her. It was on, and it was great. We knew we had to keep it quiet because "New girl" was her friend and she was staying with her. Plus, her five year ex was locally based, and it just wouldn't look good. The lesbian community is small everywhere people. We felt an intimate connection, but didn't end up sleeping together until some weeks later, a sign that I found perfect. Our intimacy evolved slowly and organically, like anything you feel is worth something should.

"New girl" had decided by now that she thought I was still OK to associate with every now and then, especially since her friend had now begun hanging out with me and my little group. She became suggestive and I felt as if she wanted another round with me. I politely rejected the advances, but would tell her and her friend to come hang out whenever I was out. One night they came out to a club to meet me. As the night was ending I whispered to her friend that she should find a way to come back to my place. She made it happen, despite pissing off "New girl" and lying to her about what she was doing. She decided she didn't want to report to "New girl" anymore. She gets her stuff into her car and starts staying with me, but not every night. We still had to make it look like she was living somewhere else, which she was adamant about. She temporarily moved all of her stuff in with another friend. But she began staying with me a few nights a week, and we began an intimate relationship.

Despite the fact it was obvious I was falling for this girl, I had my reservations. I still felt like I shouldn't jump into anything, especially with a musician. I didn't know for sure what her intentions were with me, as she had just gotten out of a long term relationship and I did not want to be a rebound. I did enjoy her very much though and thought about her all of the time. We had a lot in common.

I had also started casually seeing another girl while going out a lot in September. I had only had a few dates with this girl as she lived about 45 minutes away, but she was cool and I had been intimate with her as well. But the more I saw my musician girl, the more I knew I wanted her to be mine. I had organized a Halloween party at my place, and both of my interests were planning on coming to it. I hated the predicament but had invited the other girl before I had thought I had a chance with my musician. The other girl was planning on staying over so she wouldn't have to drive the distance back to her home. My musician was planning on staying too as she had been living with me a bit, but knew the other girl was coming and that I was more into her anyway. She was a good sport about it. The other girl ended up staying in my room with me. I hooked up with her out of obligation (I know how that sounds), but my heart was in the other room, on the couch with my musician. I told her so before I went to bed. It didn't change a thing as all was understood and our feelings for each other were strong. I broke everything off with the other girl right after that party. Now my full attentions were on my musician.

She understood and put up with my aversions to getting into a relationship. However she also made me aware that she liked me very much, and was not afraid to fall in love, even if I didn't feel the same way. That threw me for a loop. She was amazing, and patient, and caring. I knew I loved her as much as she loved me. She told me so for the first time in early November 2008. I told her the same back. The actual date was later to become what we would call our anniversary. We loved hard and we loved deeply. We spent as much time together as possible. We had another hurdle that we knew we had to face however - we were both going to be leaving LA. As I mentioned earlier, I had a flight booked back east for a month so I could spend the holidays with my family. She had a tour with her band planned for the middle of November, and by the time she returned, I would be gone. In addition to that, before I was due to come back, she would be leaving again, for an undisclosed amount of time - to the other side of the world. I should have mentioned this before, but she's from another country. The band's label decided they should release their album there.

The last day she was in town, she had a show that night. It was also her birthday. I got her a cake and organized a surprise dinner for the only hour she had free that day between rehearsals and her show. At the after-party that night, we said our goodbyes. No expectations were allowed, as we both knew the distance would make things very difficult. The experience of being with each other, even for that short amount of time, had a huge impact on both of us, and we knew it. Nothing would change the plans though.

She left for tour. I knew I had to see her again. I got my best friend to agree to drive halfway across the US with me to surprise her at a show. The trip took 21 hours straight, with us sleeping for three hours and then switching. Definitely the farthest I had ever traveled for a love interest. We made it to the bar the band was to play at, before her arrival at the venue. She was obviously very surprised to see us, and I know she was happy. I felt at the time though that even if I was making a mistake by showing up there, it would have been worth it just to see her face again. I got to make love to her one more time that night, and it was wonderful. Saying goodbye and driving back to LA the next day was tough, but I was happy about my decision to go and see her. I left for the east coast about a week and a half later. She came back to LA and then left the states for her country.

We stayed in touch. The time distance was significant, but we made it work. We Skyped. Being able to see her face on a computer screen was amazing, but a torture as well as I couldn't touch it. We talked as much as we could and hung up looking forward to the next exchange. The more time we spent apart, the more we missed each other and realized we didn't want to be with any other person. We spoke in agreement of that and made it official. We each thrived with the other. I now had a girlfriend I was completely and totally in love with, on the other side of the planet. One day over Skype that December she asked me out of the blue, "Would you move here for a bit?". I took a moment and then said yes. It came out naturally and without second thoughts. I would, and I could. She had realized that it was likely the band would be out of the states for awhile, and she wanted me with her. I wanted to be with her and saw longevity in our future. I didn't mention this to anyone for the time being. I returned to LA for the dawning of 2009.

In January she and I continued to Skype, and to love, and to plan. I thought it would be good to see the country she is from first before I relocated, so I booked a plane ticket there for the beginning of February, for 16 days total, including Valentine's Day. From the day I booked the plane ticket, I began to draw a portrait of her. She inspired me. I can be a pretty good artist when I sit down and work on a project, and the portrait was the first piece I had been inspired to do in years. I finished it in two weeks and in time for my trip.

She got me at the airport and we picked up exactly where we had left off. By the time I got there we had been apart for about three months. Our love had only grown during that time. I instantly liked where she is from and felt right at home there. I knew I could make the move and be with her. She really showed me an amazing time and planned so many things to make it the most incredible trip of my life. On Valentine's Day we exchanged gifts, and it was art for art. I gave her the portrait, which came out great, and she had written a song for me, which she played; it was beautiful. As a rule, she never writes down lyrics for her music, and she took the time out of our romantic breakfast that morning to do so for me, so I had my song. It was a surreal day and trip in general; I never wanted it to end. A couple days later I flew back to LA. She was to follow in a couple of weeks with her band to play a music festival. Everything was working out, and so doable! The future was becoming clear. We commented that we were each other's soulmates. We were solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment