Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hating Facebook

Now I understand that pain is inevitable and suffering is optional and all that. I realize that we have choices, and that looking at social networking sites is not necessarily a healthy choice when you have been broken up with. Normally, I would not care, but since I have been given some undesirable information regarding my ex's recent activities with "F", I gave into temptation and played detective a little bit. I will start by saying that I didn't like what I saw.

My ex was smart enough not to post a thing, and I give her credit for that. No updates, no new pictures, no comments on other people's pages. This seemed to coincide well enough with how I thought she should be - taking time for herself, missing me, and keeping busy with her life. "F" however, was a completely different story. Beginning the day after I left, she began posting things such as "you just know...", "thinking, thinking, thinking", and "there are really great things happening in my life right now". Almost all of the updates were followed with smiley faces. It was annoying. Now I am not saying these are obvious admissions of a dirty love affair, but I think anyone can read between the lines here if they have the information I do regarding this girl's intentions.

I had decided, despite being very tempted and unafraid of confrontation, to act as if I had no information that my ex may have something going on with "F". This meant I wouldn't confront either of them. I chose this for two reasons. One is that there is always the possibility that there is nothing going on for sure. Yes, I know that a few people believe there is something going on. Yes, it is obvious that "F" wants there to be, and I know they hang out all the time, but I can not really know if they have any kind of intimate relationship. The last time I talked to my ex before it was pronounced that we would not be speaking anymore, she told me she still loved me, was not over me, and felt guilty about what she had put me through. Once again, I wanted to believe her because she had always been honest with me. And if there is nothing going on, I didn't want to accuse her and break that trust we have. I didn't want to be the paranoid ex on the other side of the world. I didn't want to ruin a chance of getting back with her over rumors and my own insecurities.

The other reason I chose not to confront them is because I did not want to get my sources in trouble. They respected me enough to keep me in the loop, and since they were mutual friends of my ex and "F" as well, I didn't want lesbian drama resulting from that. Plus, I didn't mind getting the occasional tidbit. Yes, I know it will make it hard for me. But if there is in fact something going on there, I may as well be aware of it so I do not have to feel like a fool down the line when they finally confess to it. I am done with surprises for the time being. Knowing information gives me a small amount of power, not over the situation, but how I can react to it. I don't want their pity, and I am done feeling sorry for myself. If the rumors turn out to be true, when and if they find the courage to tell me, I will already have known and they can feel like asses because of that.

So they don't know that I know. This becomes interesting because "F" has taken it upon herself to chat to me on Facebook, on a couple different occasions, asking me how I am doing. Oh, the audacity. I find it arrogant, insulting, manipulative, and overall just really mean to inquire about my well-being under the assumption of my supposed ignorance to their situation. What a bitch, its unreal. What does she have to gain by keeping in touch with me? Is she trying to find out information about me for my ex? I doubt my ex would request information, but "F" is the kind of girl that would love to have some to give. I kept my responses to her questions very general and lighthearted. I asked her about her job, and the weather, and stupid shit like that. Then she would abruptly have to go to a meeting or something. I would thank her for reaching out to me. I would curse her under my breath. I try to tell myself that my ex will eventually have to see the kind of person "F" is. I found a quote that says, "When the infatuation wears off, you see people for who they really are". I know my ex is deep, and kind, and caring. I have to believe that she may have to find some things out the hard way. I sure have.

7 comments:

  1. Hey you,

    No problem about keeping it here for awhile... But I couldn't believe my eyes reading your postings today... It is unreal how mean people are... I'm so sorry this happen to you!! It made me feel better for one thing though, one of the reasons why my ex and I fought a lot over was the fact that she was so uncomfortable by being with a woman that she never introduced me to her world in a way. Can you believe it 4 years and I was never introduced to her best friend whom always thought she was single.. Incredible!!! She wasn't out and though she is 30 years old she still fears the other's judgements... But I always loved her eventhough it hurt me... But reading your post I thought it could be a good thing to not know anyone she conects with that way I won't know what's going on with her... I miss her terribly though.. I've had nightmares for the past three nights, I cry everytime i'm in bed and I wake up and don't see her there... I wonder what she feels at times, if she misses me, but i guess not as she hasn't contacted me... I promised that I wouldn't call her and I've been strong but last night I needed to dial her number just for a second, so I called her with a blocked ID and then I went to sleep with tears going down my face... School started today and I had to find energy to get out of bed... But I wanted to tell you is that you're not alone in this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is unfortunate for your ex that she is not strong enough to come out yet. It is a personal choice though and she has to be ready. You are a trooper for sticking with her through that.

    I miss my ex terribly too. Even if the rumors are true, I would have her back in a second. Yes, knowing so many people in her life makes it very hard. We had mutual friends there and in LA, and I lived with her family for 6 months, so of course I got close with them as well. Her sister was my sister, ya know? The hardest part for me was saying goodbye to her parents. They had been so good to me and the whole thing was a shock to them that I was leaving. My ex and I had agreed to say it was a mutual thing so it didn't look like she was kicking me out; I was protecting her.

    I cry too when I think about it too much.

    If you guys have agreed not to talk, try to be strong. That has been difficult for me, but in the long run, the less desperate you look, the better. Who knows what the future holds? Try to deal with the present one day at a time. Let her miss you as much as you miss her. Thanks for sharing your struggle...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ladies how my heart aches for you. Let yourselves morn because you have had a loss. Cry and talk to your support system as much as you can that's what they are their for and remember to keep your head up. This too shall pass and unfortunately the only remedy is TIME! I wish it wasn't but it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the web can be so tangled. It just does not make breakups any easier at all when you have so much information at your finger tips! Take some comfort in that you are grieving the passing of a relationship. It gets easier eventually. Allow yourself the space to feel the pain knowing that joy will follow soon enough. Once you have let yourself be hurt, then it is time to call in the reinforcements to get you out of the house and on with your life. Look towards the bright spot on the horizon where you look back and feel proud that you got through this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Support systems are definitely key here, and staying busy and out of your head as much as possible. Definitely easier said than done, but dammit, I am trying!

    Hello B. Thank you for your comment. I absolutely look forward to when I can look back on this and know I am in a better space, physically, mentally, the whole bit. Starting this blog has been extremely therapuetic for me. It helps to hear from others who have gone through it too, and they are OK, or at least getting there. What is your story?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am grateful to you in posting your struggle for the heart broken. I wish someone did this when I was dumped by my ex. Maybe I would have not been her booty call for the past two years if someone did what you are doing. I am proud of your courage in doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Anonymous,

    This is the reason I am doing this - I was not able to find my own support. I want to hear your story too. How did you get though your struggle? Thanks for the compliment, I am making sharing part of my journey to healing. :)

    ReplyDelete